Tuesday 10 September 2013

Beer is Cheaper than Water

How could you say no to this?!
This last week has been such a roller coaster.  The week before I got to Prague was even more crazy.  I quit my job about 10 days before I departed the country for 12 months or more, and let me tell you, packing for that amount of time is so difficult.  I think in total, I got rid of 4 bags of clothes/shoes and 3 bags of trash.  Boy did I collect a lot of crap.  Finally, 2 giant suitcases, a large backpack and a carryon later, I made it to JFK to board my first flight to London.  If any of you know me at all, you know that was going to be my favorite part.  Unfortunately, I only had a chance to run to my connecting flight miles away in the Heathrow airport.  1hr 45min is NOT enough time for a connection British Airways. But luckily, I made it in time.  *Side note: I slept basically the entire time on my flight from NYC to London, it was like magic. *

Upon arriving at the Prague airport, naturally I was so confused.  Clearly I speak no Czech, and no I didn't learn anything before coming.  Sorry Mom.  My then future roommate gave me pretty detailed directions to get to the hostel so that was so helpful.  Luckily, I was in no hurry to get there so I just made sure I was going the right way and followed the directions to a T.  I had to lug all my luggage onto a bus, then the metro, then to the hostel. But hey, I made it alive without getting lost! Everyone should be so proud.  I mean I am good with directions so I'm not surprised I made it out alive.

After getting to the hostel, I settled in a bit and Poppy(the girl I'm living with) got back from work and we went to see an apartment.  It didn't work out :( but it's ok, better news is coming up! After, I had my first Czech meal.  It's a lot of meat and potatoes, so it's definitely not an everyday thing.  By the time that ended, I was falling asleep at dinner, clearly I needed some sleep.

The next day, I slept until 2pm and then met Poppy to open a Czech bank account; I didn't open mine until Thursday.  It feels so official with a bank account now.  But our main concern was the apartment still.  Also did I mention that beer is cheaper than water? Hence the title.  It's insane, people told me that was true, but I didn't believe them until now.  We went out for the first time on Friday with my friend Bara, whom I met at SFC; she's Czech.  It was tons of fun.

Saturday was such a nice day as well.  Poppy and I walked up to Petrin Hill, which is a giant park near Prague Castle and a mini Eiffel Tower that France gave to the CR, why, I'm not sure yet but I will find out.  Anywho, it was worth the sweat and pain to climb that hill, the view was PHENOMENAL(pics later if I must). Later that night we weren't planning on going out, but the bar downstairs had free wine from 10-12.  Need I say more.  Some how we ended up on a bar crawl, so you all can use your imagination after that.

Sunday was the day we thought was the day we finally got an apartment.  But negative ghost rider, it was a poop-hole and over-priced.  Sad day.  BUT I got over it because the next day I finally started training for work! The whole reason I came here was to teach and I couldn't wait.

Monday was really interesting. We had a 9-5pm training session and I met other teachers from other regions, meaning they're not teaching in Prague, they'll be all over.  I really wanted to work in Prague so I pushed for it a bit harder.  Love it so far.  The guy who owns Wattsenglish trained us for the day and he's a very interesting man, but their methodology is very clear and I'm excited to use their materials and teach little kids.

I actually had to go to one of the schools I have to teach yesterday and met the director.  They don't want me to use the WE materials, which is ok.  At least I was able to see the school and the area I will be teaching a couple times a week. By the time this school year is over, I'm going to be a pro at public transportation in Prague.  Watch out y'all!

It still amazes me how so many series of events led me to this place at this time in my life. I still can't believe it, it is literally a dream come true! People dream of traveling and living as I do all their life, and now it IS my life.

Sorry mom, I don't know when I'll be back.

For now, I'm just living day by day and having a F**KING FABULOUS TIME. Till next time!

XOXO gossip girl (jk that's not really me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment