Tuesday 10 September 2013

To Whom it May Concern:

It's that time of year again-Paige is in Europe. Again.  This time, it's going to be longer than 3 months.  Potentially 2 or more.  Who knows, I'm in love all ready.

Just a little background on why I am now in Prague:

Upon graduation, I was so lost and confused on what to decide I should do after.  Like many people after graduation, I could have gotten a job doing some sort of business whatever.  But my passion is not business.  I knew if I got into that field I would never leave and I wouldn't be happy.  Naturally, I freaked out.  Of course not knowing what you want to do for the rest of your life was one thing, but as my surgery was also approaching, I was a hot freakin' mess.  This summer was going to be a tough road and I knew it.

Myself and stress are...enemies. We do not get a long.  A week before my surgery(12 week recovery by the way), I talked to a friend who was looking into getting his TEFL/TESOL Certification.  For those of you who aren't aware it means teaching English as a foreign language.  After speaking with him and doing A LOT of research, I signed up for my course that took place all summer until the middle of August.  I finally had a plan and a path to go down.  Unfortunately, the summer was not going to be easy.  At first, I wasn't sure where I wanted to teach, I had so many options.  As my recovery and rehab continued through the summer, and my summer hostessing job, I decided on Prague.  Why you may ask? Honestly, I'm really not sure.  Throughout my lifetime of traveling (LOL because I'm only 22), I had yet to step foot in the Czech Republic.  So many of my friends and colleagues had told me it was a beautiful and wonderful city.  Obviously I did a bunch of research and made up my mind.  In early July, I booked my ticket.  Spontaneous I know.  But hey, it was one of the BEST decisions I've ever made.

After finishing up my course, I took an extra couple of weeks of young learners English and business English.  That's when I knew I wanted to teach young children in Prague.  After applying to many different schools, I was hired at Wattsenglish Ltd. It was one of my first choice schools and I was hired! Yes, I was heading to Prague with no apartment or job, so.  I was confident enough, I knew things were going to work out just fine.  After getting the job, I focused on getting the apartment.  I actually met a girl through my TEFL program and found out she was also going to Prague so we decided we were going to be roommates.  She was doing a lot of work trying to find apartments before I came, bless her(it was very difficult), all while living in a hostel.  Which, by the way, we are still doing. Anyway, after arriving in Prague last Wednesday, we've been looking at some places and FINALLY found one! We're hoping to move in next week.  Pictures will come later! Thank goodness we won't have to live in the hostel for much longer.  But it's not terrible, I'd just like to cook my own meals.

Another post will be up soon about this last week and training for Watts.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paige-
    My name is Katie. I hope this post doesn't come off as too random. I was given the link to your blog from my advisor from the TEFL program. I too am thinking about going aborad to teach English and Prague is my first choice of where I would like to go. Seeing that you've already made the big decision to do it, I thought maybe I could ask you for some advice! I am more than likely starting the course on September 30th and hope to be in Prague by January. I'm from Pittsburgh, PA and 24 years old. My email is kbetzler@yahoo.com .

    Thanks!
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete